Mar 16 , 2020
Did you know it is a pet poison prevention month? Let’s review the common foods that can potentially harm our pets, you may be surprised by some!
- This dessert favorite, even in small portions, is dangerous for dogs.
- Chocolate contains caffeine and a chemical called theobromine, which a dog cannot metabolize like we humans can.
- If ingested, it may cause diarrhea, vomiting, elevated heart rate, tiredness, fever, convulsions, and other severe medical conditions.
- The darker the chocolate is, the more danger it poses.
- Xylitol, a lesser-known chemical ingredient, poses even more danger to dogs.
- Xylitol is an insulin stimulator for dogs. More insulin may lead to a drop in blood sugar levels. In this state, your dog may appear tired, trembling, loss of appetite, loss of consciousness, and other severe medical conditions if left untreated.
- To counteract this, you may try to give your dog a naturally sweet food, such as sugar, honey, or fruit juice.
- Check-in with your regular veterinarian for more specific recommendations.
- This is a tricky one because it is not exactly known what makes grapes dangerous and toxic in dogs.
- Some dogs don’t appear to be bothered by this food. But for other dogs, it has been observed to cause kidney failure. The signs and symptoms are typically vomiting, lethargy, excessive thirst, decreased appetite, blood in urine, and other severe medical conditions.
- Researchers are continuing to uncover the risk that grapes pose to dogs.
Onion and Garlic
- Cats are more sensitive to these two foods than dogs and some dogs can tolerate a small amount of garlic or onion. But if they ingest a lot, they may be poisoning themselves.
- Onion and garlic contain allium toxicosis which has been shown in research to affect red blood cells and even lead to anemia. Typical signs and symptoms of this are pale gums, elevated heart and respiratory rates, tiredness, vomiting, and a drop in blood sugar.
- It is important to contact your veterinarian right away if you notice these symptoms in your pet.
- Macadamia nuts are commonly found in cakes, cookies, and chocolates.
- Generally, signs and symptoms develop 12 hours after the ingestion of macadamia nuts. Even a small amount can trigger reactions such as vomiting, fever, loss of muscle control, abdominal pain and tremors.
- There are no known studies yet why macadamia is toxic to dogs. Diagnosis will be based only on the time of exposure to nuts and its signs and symptoms.
- Contact your veterinarian immediately for further instructions on counteracting these effects
Always check the ingredients of your pet’s food, especially if you are uncertain of its contents. Be sure to store potentially dangerous foods away and out of reach. To ensure you are feeding your pet the right amount at the right time, check out our Automatic Pet Feeder (https://www.chowtimeshop.com/
Don’t forget to educate your friends and family and anyone who is responsible for caring for your pet about their specific dietary restrictions. Your veterinarian is the best source of information and advice when it comes to your pet’s health and wellbeing.